- evolution of protein structure and function
- evolution by gene duplication (neo-/subfunctionalisation)
- evolutionary computer simulations, lattice proteins
- protein stability/disorder/folding
- structural bioinformatics
- catalytic promiscuity and experimental evolution of enzymes
- evolution of miRNAs
- 2000-2006: studies in biology, philosophy and computer sciences at the University of Muenster; focus on practical and theoretical evolutionary biology, molecular cell biology, and bioinformatics.
- 2004-2005: study abroad year at the University of Auckland, New Zealand ; courses in microbiology, immunology, biochemistry, and ecology.
Diplom (MSc equivalent) thesis "The evolution of heterodimerising transcription factor
networks." in the group of Evolutionary Bioinformatics in Muenster under the supervision of Amelie Veron and Erich Bornberg-Bauer.
- June 2010: research stay in Prof Hue Sun Chan's lab, University of Toronto
- 2008 - 2012: PhD project "The resolution of adaptive conflicts in protein evolution through shifts in thermodynamic stability and gene duplication"
- April 2012 -- March 2013: working with Juliette de Meaux at the IEB in Münster on miRNA in plants
Conferences and workshops attended
- 2008: Meeting of the Society for Molecular Biology and Evolution (SMBE), Barcelona, Spain
- 2009: Physical Principles of Protein Behavior in the Cell, Dresden, Germany
- 2011: CamProEng - Protein evolution and engineering, Cambridge, UK
- talk: "Resolving adaptive conflicts by promiscuity and gene duplication"
- April 2012:Theoretical and Empirical Advances in Evolutionary Genomics, Roscoff, France
- June 2012: Münster Graduate School in Evolution (MGSE) symposium, Münster, Gemany
- June 2012: Meeting of the Society for Molecular Biology and Evolution (SMBE), Dublin, Ireland
- July 2012: The Emerging Dynamic View of Proteins (DYPROT12), Dresden, Germany
- July 2012: Summer School on Protein Evolution, Fraunchiemsee, Germany
- July 2012: Workshop on Protein Evolution, Munich, Germany
- Programming: Java, Python, Linux bash
- Structural Bioinformatics: FoldX, Rosetta, PyMol, Chimera, PDB, CATH, python scripting
- Bioinformatics: BLAST, sequence alignment, database search, phylogeny
- Visualization/Illustration: Inkscape, Cinema 4D, Matplotlib (Python), Mayavi (Python), Prefuse (Java)
- Wetlab: basic molecular biology
- 2006-2010: teaching practicals "Bioinformatics 2 - sequence analysis" (since 2008 also course co-ordination); contents: sequence alignments, phylogenies, protein structure prediction
- 2009: project design and co-supervision of BSc thesis: "Testing a single-copy plasmid system for
Protein Evolution Experiments" by Dieter Weber
- Jan 2010: BSc course "Modern Methods in Evolutionary Biology" - lecture entitled: "Structural evolution and subfunctionalisation of proteins"
- Dec 2010: MSc research project "A mutational path connecting two proteins"
- Feb 2011: BSc advanced project "Characterisation of the mutational energy landscape for the structural switch in Arc repressor"
Scientific social networks